Part of living out the Christian faith is to be considerate about meeting the needs of others before your own needs. Jesus said that the greatest command for those who follow Him, is to love God with all your mind, heart and soul and lastly love your neighbors equally to yourself. One of the ways to demonstrate your love is to be generous with your time, resources and finances.
What does the bible say about generosity?
1. One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want. – Proverbs 11:24
2. Whoever is generous to the poor lends to the LORD, and he will repay him for his deed. – Proverbs 19:17
3. Do to others as you would have them do to you. – Luke 6:31
4. Give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. – Luke 6:38
5. In all things I have shown you that by working hard in this way we must help the weak and remember the words of the Lord Jesus, how he himself said, ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive. – Acts 20:35
6. And whoever gives one of these little ones even a cup of cold water because he is a disciple, truly, I say to you, he will by no means lose his reward. – Matthew 10:42
7. Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. – 2 Corinthians 9:7
8. Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned; forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. Good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap. For with the measure you use it will be measured back to you. – Luke 6:37-38
9. And Zacchaeus stood and said to the Lord, “Behold, Lord, the half of my goods I give to the poor. And if I have defrauded anyone of anything, I restore it fourfold. – Luke 19:8
10. You shall remember the LORD your God, for it is he who gives you power to get wealth, that he may confirm his covenant that he swore to your fathers, as it is this day. – Deuteronomy 8:18
Video below – Mother Teresa on the power of being generous